Workplace mediation is best used for cases where a breakdown in the working relationship has occurred as the result of a conflict. This can include a wide range of issues, and mediation is most effective when undertaken at an early stage of the conflict. Typically the following elements need to be present in order for mediation to be an appropriate (and effective) option:
• Your organisation has a desire to support the individuals in resolving their dispute
• The parties also have a desire or need to improve their working relationship
• The issues surrounding the case are within the parties’ control to resolve
• There are no formal processes currently taking place (e.g. Investigation)
• The parties are in good health and fit to mediate
• The mediation is not to be used as a process to punish or sanction unwanted behaviours.